10 Commandments for Sports Parents
On the way to the event...
- Ask your child to set goals for the game: a physical goal, a mental goal and a sportsmanship goal.
- Remind your child (and yourself) to have fun.
- Say a prayer of thanksgiving with your child for the chance to play.
At the event...
- Be positive with players, fans, opponents, coaches and officials.
- Remain calm and in control of your words and actions.
- Take a deep breath or step away from the game if you grow angry.
- Applaud good play on both teams.
On the way home...
- Ask your child, “How do you think the game went?”
- Point out signs of sportsmanship shown in the game.
- Express your love for your child regardless of the outcome